Do you want to improve your smile? People sometimes feel self-conscious about their smiles for a variety of reasons. One of them is the appearance of the gums. When gum tissue covers too much of the teeth, it can make the teeth appear small and the gums appear large. If you are feeling sensitive about this off-balance look, it can be corrected. Crown lengthening may also be required to expose additional tooth structure to allow a filling or crown to be placed properly and avoid gum inflammation, bone loss, and recurrent cavities.
Crown lengthening is a procedure that removes some of the gum tissue and possibly some tooth support in order to expose more of the teeth. As noted, it can be done for cosmetic purposes as well as for restorative purposes, such as placing a crown. If you’re considering this procedure, you may be wondering about the cost.
How much does crown lengthening cost in Monmouth County, NJ? Here’s what you can expect.
Average Cost of a Crown Lengthening Procedure
You can expect a quote somewhere around $950 per tooth. The cost may vary depending on a number of factors. The good news is that you may only need crown lengthening on one tooth, or just a few of your front teeth. But if you’re wondering what this average price is based on, here are some variances that play a part.
What is the Cost of Crown Lengthening Based On?
If you’re wondering why the cost of crown lengthening is what it is, here are some of the biggest factors in the pricing:
- Your Dentist’s Rates. Every dentist will set their own prices for services. Dentists with more years of experience and a well-established reputation in the community may charge more for crown lengthening, but with good reason. Experience ensures a smooth procedure with faster recovery.
- The Number of Teeth Receiving Treatment. Crown lengthening is priced on a per-tooth basis, so each tooth that requires treatment will add to the cost. Your dentist may not charge as much for each additional tooth since the overall procedure contributes to the bulk of the cost. Once your dentist has begun, each additional tooth just requires a bit more time.
- The Location of your Dentist’s Office. Cost of living in the area will affect the cost of all services, including dental services. Where your dentist’s office is located will play a part in the cost. Larger cities tend to have higher living expenses than smaller towns, which contributes to dental costs. Dental offices also price their services competitively based on other dental offices in the area.
- Your Insurance. If you have dental insurance, crown lengthening may be covered. However, the reason for the procedure is the determining factor. If you need crown lengthening in preparation for a restorative procedure or a medical need, your insurance may cover the procedure. However, if the purpose is cosmetic, you will need to pay out of pocket for crown lengthening.
Is Crown Lengthening Worth the Cost?
If you need crown lengthening to prepare for an artificial crown, the procedure is necessary and the cost cannot be avoided. But if you’re considering crown lengthening for cosmetic purposes, there are still many benefits to consider, such as:
- Increased Self Confidence. If you’ve always been self-conscious about your smile, crown lengthening can make a big difference in how you feel about yourself. Your smile is the first thing people see when you meet them, as long as you are confident enough to smile.
- A More Attractive Smile. Some patients have career aspirations that require an attractive smile. From modeling to acting to sales, an attractive smile is helpful and even necessary in some cases.
- Decreased Risk of Tooth Decay and Gum Disease. There are also dental health reasons that crown lengthening is helpful. When you have an excess of gum tissue over your teeth, more plaque can build up and cause tooth decay or gum disease to develop. Reducing gum tissue helps to prevent these issues by allowing proper cleansing of the teeth..
Progressive Periodontics and Implant Dentistry Provides Crown Lengthening
If you are in need of crown lengthening, Dr. Marc Gordon at Progressive Periodontics and Implant Dentistry is an expert in this field. Whether you are interested in a more attractive smile or you need more space for a dental crown, we can handle your procedure here.